Hi guys…this article is dedicated to all the people who usually replace their jpeg codec, putting the jpeg codec file in C:/System/Data/
and say, ” WOW PIX ACTUALLY LOOK BETTER!!”
This news will be shocking, and I hope someone will reply with technical motivations saying that I am telling lies 🙂 Because otherwise, I just couldn’t be able to believe why so many people believed in all those stories…
The thing is:
Lot’s of people were saying JD1 codec works better, looks like pix are better, more definite and all that sort of stuff…
So I went into my firmware and said, well let’s do a comparison to see which is actually better…(I will post the comparison tomorrow)
1) my file was about 246kb…..
I went into JD1.rom.img , looked into C:/System/Data, took the jpeg codec out, and said: “well it actually is different, this one is only 209kb, so it must be different”
2) Then I said : Ok let’s do a comparison between more than two codecs, just to see which one is better…
so I went into XXJB1.rom.img , took out the file and said…”mmm wow, it’s 209kb, same weight as JD1’s codec…strange, but it could happen, but hey it’s not the same size as n2o2, which is supposed to have JB1 codec, well maybe it’s from another JB1″
Then I went into XXJA1.rom.img took out the file and said…”mmm wow, it’s 209kb, same weight as JD1’s codec…strange, but it could happen”
then into the JVJA1, took out the file and said…”mmm wow, it’s 209kb, same weight as JD1’s codec…strange, but it could happen”
then into DXJB2, took out the file and said…”mmm wow, it’s 209kb, same weight as JD1’s codec…strange, but it could happen”
at this point I was like “oh damn, it can’t be that mine is 246, and all those others are 209kb…”
so I extracted very old firmwares, like XXIF7, IG2….
and ….DAMN THE FILESIZE WAS THE SAME!!! 209KB!!!
Ok, I thought, this can be normal, maybe they just changed values inside the file, keeping the size always the same…
Here is when the H4X hex editor came in…”Let’s see what the hex editor thinks of those file” I thought….
well, you know what…
THE HEX EDITOR CONFIRMED THAT ALL THE JPEG CODECS FROM JD1,JB1,JC1,JA1,IF7,IG2, WERE ALL THE SAME FUCKING FILE!!!!!!!!!! (sorry for the rude word)
THE JPEG CODEC HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME!!!!! NO CHANGE AT ALL SINCE AUGUST 2009!!!!
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
What about all the jpec codec importing in our firmwares!?!?
“OH LET’S PUT THIS CODEC, THIS ONE IS BETTER, PUT IT IN C:/SYSTEM/DATA” —-> THIS NEVER CHANGED ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!
I read so many posts about changing the jpec codecs….SOOOO MANY!!! AND NOW I’VE JUST FOUND OUT THEY WERE ALL BULLSHIT!!! (no offence to anyone of course, it’s just that I am shocked 🙂 )
At the same time I discovered that the JB1 codec that ipmart guys sent me, to be imported into n2o2, is ACTUALLY THE VIVAZ CODEC!!!
THAT’S WHY IT HAS GOT A DIFFERENT SIZE FROM ALL THE OTHER SAMSUNG CODECS!!! BECAUSE IT IS NOT A SAMSUNG ONE!!!
At this moment I was so excited/sad at the same time…excited because I had just discovered this (trivial) thing…sad because I have always believed codecs were actually different in every rom…
But my research didn’t end up here…
I took the Satio Z Drive Dump, and looked for its jpeg codec, and you know what?!?!?
IT IS THE SAME AS VIVAZ!!!!
Well now everything is clear to me….
1) THERE ARE NO JB1, JD1, JA1, IF1, WTFUCK1, WTFUCK2 CODECS, THEY’RE ALL THE SAME JPEG CODEC FROM SAMSUNG!!!!!!
2) Sony Ericsson has its own codec as well, in fact VIVAZ AND SATIO USE THE SAME JPEG CODEC…
3) ALL THE “BETTER PIX” Which people saw when they changed codecs in their phone with a codec from another rom (because told them it was better) WERE ONLY BETTER BECAUSE OF CASUAL EVENTS!!!
So, if you still didn’t get the point, here is a sumup:
1) ALL THE CODECS FROM ALL THE i8910 ROMS ARE THE SAME FILE!! THERE IS NO BETTER JD1!!! NO BETTER JA1!! THEY’RE ALL THE SAME!!! IDENTICAL!!!
2) There are only two jpeg codecs : SAMSUNG codec, and SONY ERICSSON CODEC, these are the only codecs you have to choose between.
3) THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IN TAKING PHOTOS IS THE CAMERA ENGINE, WHICH CAN’T BE CHANGED IN CUSTOM FIRMWARE, SO IF YOUR FIRMWARE WILL HAVE JC1 base (like all the latest firmware), IT WILL HAVE JC1 ENGINE (yes, I’m saying that all cfw with FIXED JAVA, HAVE THE SAME CAMERA ENGINE), the only thing you can choose is to use Samsung Codec, or Sony codec, I REPEAT, ALL THE CODECS FROM SAMSUNG FIRMWARES ARE THE SAME!!!
4) I WILL BE RELEASING A COMPARISON BETWEEN SONY AND SAMSUNG CODEC TOMORROW (they’re very similar, don’t expect any big difference)
5) n2o2 ACTUALLY USES SONY CODEC, NOT SAMSUNG (JB1) ONE!!!
6) I hope someone will show me that all the things written in this post are lies…otherwise…HOW COULD WE ALL (from the most famous cookers to the newbie) BELIEVE THAT THOSE CODECS WERE DIFFERENT?!??!
UPDATE: SOME OF YOU ARE NOT GETTING THE POINT OF THIS ARTICLE…
OF COURSE THERE ARE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN FIRMWARES BECAUSE THE CAMERA ENGINE IS DIFFERENT!! BUT WHAT I AM SAYING IS, IF ON THE SAME FIRMWARE YOU CHANGE THE CODEC WITH ANOTHER ONE FROM ANOTHER i8910 FIRMWARE, NOTHING WILL CHANGE, BECAUSE CODEC FILES ARE THE SAME!!!
Hope it is clear now 🙂
I hope that all of you guys are still alive, and reached the end of the article hurtless…